Search Treasured MOM-ents

Friday, February 13, 2009

Breastfeeding Consultation at Eastburn

I was pretty surprised that there was a Free Breastfeeding Consultation at Eastburn Community Center and decided to go and check it out.

I started breastfeeding Kimi from the day she was born. After my normal delivery at St. Luke's Medical. I went to the nursery and changed at the small dressing room for a nursing gown. The nurse handed me my newborn, Kimi. It was my first time to breastfeed and I was really unsure of how to hold a baby this small and fragile and wonder if she will know how to suck, I bare a breast ready to ask the nurse what to do next when she immediately latched her little mouth and sucked hungrily. It just felt so natural, I am officially a mother! I am so overwhelmed with emotion. This little baby is getting her nutrients from me. I felt the bond right then and there and decided that I would do my best to breastfeed her as long as I can.

Fourteen months later, I am still breastfeeding my little girl. I tried pumping breastmilk to a bottle so that K can assist me in feeding her some times. She decided, at 6 months, that she would not have the bottle and get her supply of milk right from the source, ME. I have asked friends who also breastfed just how long they persevere with it and most of them did for just up to 6 months, if not, never at all. Their reason was that they have a very small supply of milk. I think that everyone starts with small amount of milk on their breast when they just give birth it is with breastfeeding continuously that you will be able to have more supply of milk. It is just sad that because of lack of information, they lose the confidence and turned to formula right away. I am really lucky that K was very supportive with my breastfeeding Kimi, and having a lot of time in my hands and being with Kimi all day long doesn't hurt either. My pediatrician, Dr. Roslyn Dychiao, in Manila was really a Godsend to us also, she was there to boost my confidence when I asked her about my low milk supply ang convinced me that whatever I supply is very much what my baby needs during that time. I guess being a parent also help her understand just how overwhelming being a new parent is and she was there to guide us through the first 5 months, she was the reason I got through the awkward months of being a new mommy.

It was such a relief to be able to find a center here and just inquire about anything regarding breastfeeding to a certified nurse. She really listened and gave a lot of sound advise from breastfeeding to Kimi's pattern in eating. I am really glad that I did stop by when I did and decided to sit and make time to ask questions. I was thinking of stopping but the nurse assured me that it is better if I can do it for a few more months...preferably up to 2 years of age. I tell myslef that a few more months will be easy, I am more than halfway there :).

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...