Search Treasured MOM-ents

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The start of something wonderful....

2 years ago…

I peeked from the bridal car in front of the church and the thought of what will happen to me in a few minutes washes over me with certain sadness and at the same time, excitement. I will be going in as a daughter and a sister and go out of that church bearing another title, I will be Karl’s wife. Oh, how surreal even to think of being someone’s wife. As the door of the car was opened and someone helped me to my feet to get me ready for my walk, I looked at the door of the church, nervous, thinking that everyone will be looking at me as I walk down that aisle. I am not very good in being in the spotlight and it would really be awkward if I do fell flat on my face right on my wedding day when I should be gliding gracefully like those countless bride I have seen in the movies.

As the door of the church started to open, I took a deep breath and reminded myself to stay calm, CALM. I never expected the wave of tears that suddenly comes pouring uncontrollably down my made up face. Uh-oh! I should have known that this would come. I am a very emotional person and would cry at people’s wedding so why would it be a shock that I am crying in my own wedding. As I look at the familiar faces smiling at me, I am more overwhelmed with this very moment. It is finally happening… I am getting married- REALLY! As I looked at the far end of the church, I could see Karl, looking at me with tears in his eyes. …Aaaw! My soon to be hubby is also as emotionally affected as I am… and the look he gave me was one that tells me that he is so happy and lucky to have…me. ME!- when I am the lucky one to have someone as sensitive and loving as him to be on my side for the rest of our lives.


A Walk to Remember...
After the church ceremony, K kept on pacing back and forth at our bridal waiting room. It was making me restless seeing him go from side to side. Chinese reception always starts late, you know, and maybe he is already hungry I thought to myself (he! he!) It wouldn’t be the first time this happens… Finally, the guests are seated and we are called down to wait outside the reception area for our grand entrance. I looked at the close double door and listens to the little sounds that did escape from the room, wherein I prepared the growing up AVP with carefully chosen songs to introduce Little Karl and Little Mel… The door suddenly open and the loud voice of our emcee echoed throughout the room introducing... Mr. and Mrs. Karl Kelvin and Melissa Ong-Chua. The spotlight was once again on our face and I was overwhelmed with the number of people with big smiles on their face as we made our way to the center of the ballroom… I was actually scared of the first dance which the planner insist that I include in the program when Karl did a speech right at the start of the recepetion. I was thinking to myself then that the speech should be done at the end…when the emcee’s voice interrupted my thought, “ … he has prepared a special moment for the woman of his dreams, for you, from Karl… then before I knew it, the familiar notes of our song, “How did you know by Gary Valenciano” began playing and the familiar but nervous voice of my new husband resonated the grand ballroom! I can’t believe he is singing a song, his first public performance, right here and right now… My husband just did the ultimate surprise! I finally realized why he was so nervous in the waiting room. he was collecting the courage for this once in a lifetime performance of his.

A look full of love...

A kiss from my new hubby


Everything after that was all a blur but it was all very memorable. I remember that everyone who was important in our life was there to share our joy. My new sister in law, Sab, did the opening prayer. My youngest brother, Ken, sang publicly as well for the first time in his life. My other brother, Eric, who rarely shows emotion made a speech for us both and ended it with a declaration of how he will miss me and that he loves me, it was one of the most memorable moment for me as well to have him admit it publicly (he! he!) and to later found out from the video that he shed a few tears upon my getting married... (uhmm he is affected!). My new dad in law did a song for us as well and my new brother in law, Kenny, did the closing speech. I would have love to go through all the preparations again if it would mean a repetition of that “Perfect Day”.
It was hands down the happiest day of my life.

I am happy to say that two years after the wedding day, I can definitely say that, that day, was the start of something really wonderful.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...