Search Treasured MOM-ents

Monday, October 20, 2008

SAD? ...or just plain homesick?

This is my first-time to experience FALL in another country that has 4 seasons in a year... I arrived here summer with long days and short nights. Now, the nights are longer and days are becoming shorter... The air is chilly and with a lot of time on my hand and usually just Kimi to talk to during the day... I got a lot of time to think. I kept on thinking about my family back in Manila and my friends... I can't believe that I miss Manila this early! Aaargh! (I spent 5months last year in Canada as well...and I was pregnant to boot.I didn't feel this sad last time with my hormones changing...)

Then, I thought that maybe it got something to do with the weather...

Seasonal Affective Disorder
Fall-Back Can Make You Feel SAD
By Phylameana lila Desy, About.com
Fall and winter are the SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) seasons. During these months of the year depressing thoughts can overwhelm us due to darker days. It is especially difficult to experience sadness or depression when we are expected to be and act jovial amidst holiday activities. Winter months are especially notorious for their gloomy gray skies, cold drizzling rainfall, and occasional dismal snowfall.
Fall-Back Into SADnessThe SAD season births its symptomatic depressive moods upon us generally around the same time when we turn our clocks back from standard to daylight savings time. The fall-back one hour change results in shorter daylight hours. For those of us who depend on sunshine to brighten our moods the shortened daylight makes us feel SAD, and are likely to continually feel even SADder as the season progresses. SAD hovers above our heads, its emotional clouds filled with feelings of depression, melancholy, and anxiety, as we do our best to muddle through each darkened day.
A single day with overcast skies is a great excuse to crawl under a blanket and stick your nose into a good book or veg out on the couch and watch an old movie. But, day after day of light deprivation can be harmful, it can make a person feel cranky, lethargic, and despondent.
...oh well,enough about SADness... maybe this is just a temporary thing.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...