Search Treasured MOM-ents

Monday, February 20, 2012

Perfectly ordinary days...

Sometimes we try to focus on the what ifs or the big moments
we neglect to enjoy the "now" and the ordinary.

Learn to enjoy everything in your life...
the ordinary are just as important as the milestones...

* * * * *

This is so touching. Every mother's sentiment...



It has taken me awhile, but I do certainly know it now- 
The most wonderful gift I had, 
the gift I finally learned to cherish above all else, 
was the gift of all those perfectly ordinary days.

- Katrina Kenison


* * * * *
Some great quotes from her book as well
Source: goodreads.com


“Not a day goes by that I don't still need to remind myself that my life is not just what's handed to me, nor is it my list of obligations, my accomplishments or failures, or what my family is up to, but rather it is what I choose, day in and day out, to make of it all. When I am able simply to be with things as they are, able to accept the day's challenges without judging, reaching, or wishing for something else, I feel as if I am receiving the privilege, coming a step closer to being myself. It's when I get lost in the day's details, or so caught up in worries about what might be, that I miss the beauty of what is.” 


“Life finds its balance. Children grow up. Second chances come along. In the meantime, I could choose to savor this moment. What good would it do to allow annoyance to interfere with gratitude?” 


“I know I can't make time slow down, can't hold our life as it is in a freeze frame or slow my children's inexorable journeys into adulthood and lives of their own. But I can celebrate those journeys by bearing witness to them, by paying attention, and, perhaps most of all, by carrying on with my own growth and becoming. Now it dawns on me that the only way I can figure out what I'm meant to be doing is to try to understand who I'm meant to be...I will not waste this life, not one hour, not one minute. I will not take for granted the blessing of our being here...I will give thanks...” 


“...there is no such thing as a charmed life, not for any of us, no matter where we live or how mindfully we attend to the tasks at hand. But there are charmed moments, all the time, in every life and in every day, if we are only awake enough to experience them when they come and wise enough to appreciate them.” 


“One of the greatest challenges I've faced as a mother-especially in these anxious, winner-takes-all times-is the need to resist the urge to accept someone else's definition of success and to try to figure out, instead, what really is best for my own children, what unique combination of structure and freedom, nurturing and challenge, education and exploration, each of them needs in order to grow and bloom.” 


“we can learn to trust our maternal selves and to have faith in the innate goodness and purity of our children - even when we feel overwhelmed and the kids are pushing all our buttons. we can support one another....we can be understanding of each other and easier on ourselves.” 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This seems like a very good book, Mel :) You have a copy? Borrow!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...